In a nutshell
In Standard Maths, there will be a new focus on online data and its application in a new topic area called Networks.
- New topic: Financial Mathematics;
- Statistical analysis is now introduced at an advanced level as well as Extension 1.
- Engineering and STEM-related concepts will be taught via a new topic of vectors;
- New topic: Combinatorics.
- New topics: more complex and advanced studies in vectors and proof;
- Circular motion has been replaced by enhanced calculus content;
- More complex numbers including Euler's formula.
Mathematics Standard 1 & 2
- Mathematics General will morph into two different courses: Mathematics Standard One and Mathematics Standard Two;
- Standard One was previously a non-ATAR course but is now board endorsed;
- There will be more of a focus on practical skills throughout the two Standard Mathematics courses - measurement, finances and how to use digital tools will be taught;
- The course will build on algebra, geometry and statistics learnt in Stage 5;
- There are now six different skills which are explicitly taught in these courses: Understanding, Fluency, Communicating, Problem Solving, Reasoning and Justification.
- A new content endorsed course from 2019 aimed at students with specific challenges in numeracy;
- The course can be taken with Standard but not with Advanced;
- Being a CEC, it is a non-examinable and non-ATAR course.
Liked what you read? Check out more great articles: